Monday, April 28, 2008

wasp nests (darázsfészek)



Darázsfészek is a typical Hungarian roll and there are a few different versions out there - as always - but I am giving you my mothers recipe. Last Easter we had all kinds of "new" things, but this year I asked my mother to cook up a traditional Easter breakfast/lunch/dinner. Of course I couldn´t resist to bake brioches that we ate warm with homemade mango ice cream (a winning combination!) but baking the wasp buns was (IS) my mother´s thing.

The wasp nests look a bit like Swedish cinnamon buns but there is no cinnamon involved in these, only a sweet butter filling. Another difference is that while the buns in the oven, you "sprinkle" (can´t find the right word for that, feels like it´s more then sprinkling...if you have a suggestion, please tell me, don´t hesitate, I would like to use the right term. thanks :)) them with sweetened milk so they get a crispy caramely surface, remaining soft and moist inside.
Yesterday a kind soul enlightened me so now I have the word: it´s baste!!! Thanks again, Anonymous :)
From Merriam-Webster: (this is a note for myself and other non-english speakers)
2baste
bast·ed; bast·ing
: to moisten (as meat) at intervals with a liquid (as melted butter, fat, or pan drippings) especially during cooking





Darázsfészek - Wasp Nests

15g yeast
2 tbsp flour
200ml lukewarm milk
pinch of sugar
pinch of salt
500g flour
3 egg yolks

Filling:
200g butter
150g sugar
1tsp vanilla

For the basting:
250-300ml milk
add sugar and vanilla to taste

Start with combining the yeast, sugar, milk and the 2tbsp flour, cover and set aside until it starts to bubble. Measure up the flour in a large bowl, make a well in the middle and add the egg yolks, salt and the yeast mixture. Combine with a wooden spoon or your hands and turn the dough onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic.

Place in a floured bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Once the dough has risen, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and roll it into a rectangle (about 1 cm thick). Spread with filling and roll up from a long side. Cut into 3cm slices and place with cut side down in a greased baking pan. Cover and let rise again, until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Bake at 200 degrees C until golden brown (it takes about 30 minutes). Now, here comes what makes the difference. When the rolls start to get a slight color, take out from oven and baste with the sweet warm milk. It´s the same thought as with a steak here, you don´t want it to dry out, so you can "ladle" 2-3 tbsp of milk on every roll. Put back in the oven and when the rolls start to have more color and start drying out, you take it out again and repeat the sprinkling procedure a second time. And don´t be shy with the milk! :)

Best eaten warm!!! (Umm, not for your tummy, but it´s the best thing you can have with a glass of cold milk)

First basting


Round two
Note: This is the original taste, then there are several varieties: you can add 100g of walnuts or shredded coconut to the filling or 2 tsp of cocoa.

20 comments:

Anna said...

Oooh, amazing Eva! :-)

Sandy said...

This looks like the ultimate happy food.
I love food with stories, and the simpler the better.
I'm feeling a real sense of nostalgia for the things (including food) from my childhood lately, and it's so nice to have a peak into yours.

vonsachsen said...

Thank you, girls :)
Sandy, I have been feeling that too, lately, and unfortunately I´think it´s an age-thing in my case ;P

xx

Anonymous said...

These rolls look marvelous! They took me back to those few years I lived in Germany. What a blessing that just looking at a picture of food can trigger such warm and comforting memories!

Does the word 'baste' convey the sense you intended, as in "baste the rolls with the milk"? This is a new technique to me, with baked goods. I will have to make up a batch!

Anonymous said...

Is the word you are looking for is glazing perhaps? That's what I would say you are doing!

vonsachsen said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! Thank you Anonymous 1! It´s basting! That´s exactly the word I was looking for!
I´m glad the photo inspired you to try it, and I wish you a happy trip down memory lane:)

Thank you too, Anonymous 2 :)

MrsDocChuck said...

All I can say that my mother, chiff0nade (she is a professional chef) would REALLY be proud.

I have emailed your blog to her.

Great job!

Linda F said...

Gorgeous photo of gorgeous food Eva! Well done for getting on tastespotting too!!!!

vonsachsen said...

It´s thanks to you Linda :D

Kevin said...

Those look really good and the caramelized sprinkling of sugared milk sounds really good.

Vicky (victoria sponge) said...

wow, these look so good. I'm taking down the recipe. Your photos are stunning!
Vicky xxx

culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess said...

Absolutely stunning Eva.

Maria said...

Eva thanks for dropping by my blog ;o)

You have a wonderful blog here and those wasp nests look so delish!!

Maria
x

Gloria said...

This looks really, really yummy and how say Kevin I love the caramelized look wonderful!!! xxx Gloria

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

Oh my! These look amazing!!! Did I say these look amazing?! :-) BTW, thanks for the link, I will now add you to my bloglist if that's ok with you?

Lisa said...

Torture! Torture! All I want is to reach in and eat one (or four)! They look so delicious.
Sniff,
Hungry Lisa

DocChuck said...

I'm sorry. My wife has become delusional again. We'll try to adjust her meds. Please bear with us.

Ilona said...

Oh how wonderful! I've been looking for this recipe everywhere! My nagymama makes these for my birthday every year but she's overseas right now and I don't know how to bake them myself :c thanks so much! I will be making these soon!

vonsachsen said...

Hi Ilona!
Hope you'll like them and please get back to me if you have any questions or just want to tell me about your own darázsfészek:)Good luck and enjoy!
Eva

Tamás said...

Plusz dió... :-)
De gyönyörű lett, gratula!