Tuesday, July 08, 2008

chocolate strawberry jam

I know I have promised more from Sicily but right now there are other things wanting to be blogged :D




Few weeks ago a friend and I went to a newly opened café in Haga, Gothenburg. It is a very cosy cafe in scandinavian-shabby-chick-cottage style with (mostly) vintage tables, chairs and stacks of white and blue plates. Everything is apparently home made, from the pies, tarts, sandwiches to scones and jams. It was a delight to be able to choose from so many different jams, rhubarb, pear, walnut, raspberry and the one that really got me going: strawberry chocolate! I am not a chocolate person (according to David Lebowitz “there are two kinds of people in this world, the lemon people and the chocolate people ” ) but this combo blew me away.


The weekend after the visit I bought the pale blue plates too...

I could hardly wait to come home and ask my friends on Vi´s Pantry if they have heard or made or had recipes for jam with chocolate, because I knew that I just have to reproduce this delicacy at home. (The main reason was that they have silver knives in the various jam jars that made it hard to have generous helpings and I am a greedy but polite person...)
Carlotta from Vi´s Pantry had several recipes for different jams with chocolate, so I changed the raspberry chocolate jam just a tiny bit to fit strawberries.

It was a hit! This is going straight into my favourite recipes file! It is good to pancakes, scones or just plain on a slice of buttered bread with a nice cup of hot tea. Mmmm...
As I think it is my duty to share the recipe with you, here it comes ;P



Strawberry Chocolate Jam
(Adapted from Christine Ferber´s "Mes Confitures")

1 kg strawberries
700g granulated sugar (I would use 650g with a sweeter strawberry)
juice of 1 lemon
225g bittersweet chocolate ( 68%- 70%)


Day 1:
Hull the strawberries and give them a hasty rinse. Divideberries into two, mash one half with a fork and chop roughly the other half.
In a preserving pan, mix the strawberries with the sugar and lemon juice. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes, stirring gently and skimming carefully. Add the grated chocolate (I used a food processor) and stir until it melts. Pour into a ceramic (or china) bowl. Cover with a sheet of parchment paper and refrigerate overnight.






Day 2:
Next day, return the mixture into a preserving pan. Continue cooking on high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring and skimming if needed. Return to a boil. Check the set. Put the jam into sterilized jars immediately and seal.
The reason for this technique of cooking the jam twice is that the chocolate and the fruit will combine more thoroughly and the tastes "ripen" together.


Thanks Carlotta, this jam rocks!!


Not much left from the first jar...

19 comments:

Coby said...

WOW! Hi Vonsachsen:) I have never EVER heard of chocolate being used in jam, what a revelation! I think I may be a lemon person, though there is a place in my heart for chocolate. Your recipe sounds delicious thanks for sharing:)

vonsachsen said...

Coby!! Long time no "see":) Good to see you are fine and yes, even if you are a lemon person, this jam is really something to try.

Kelly-Jane said...

WOW it looks amazing. I'm a chocolate person, although love lemon too! Oh I really want a taste!!

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

I have been eyeing up those jam recipes too, they sound wonderful.

Norm said...

I'd never have thought of that! Still, chocolate goes with pretty much everything so..!

I'll definitely try to remember this one. I'd love to try it.

Gloria said...

Hi vonsanchesen this look amazing!! and sounds delicious!!!xxGloria

Linda F said...

Looks amazing Eva, soooooo want to try it!:)

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

Looks and sounds decadent! Very, very nice... berries and chocolate, what more can one want?!

farida said...

Wow, I have never heard of jams with chocolate! Sounds so interesting. Lovely combination. Just printed the recipe. Better hurry making these before the strawberry season is gone! Loved the idea!

Ms O said...

Oh me, Oh my, and you shared the recipe, too! It looks wonderful, Eva. I've never tried a jam like yours. I'll have to rectify that soon. Thank you!

Lea x

Rhyleysgranny said...

I have long been intrigued by Carlotta's chocolate jam. Yours looks lovely. Now I really need to try it
xxx

Sandy said...

Yes, I think I am a lemon person too. But this jam is beckoning me.
I am not sure if I've missed the peak strawberry picking season though.

Robert said...

just made this yesterday, and it's delicious - thank you so much for sharing the recipe!!!

vonsachsen said...

Robert, I'm happy you liked it! ...AND thanks for the comment:)

Anonymous said...

No pectin required? Does the jam set without it?
Julie

vonsachsen said...

Hi Julie! No pectin at all:) Good luck if you'll try it!

Adam said...

Looks lovely! How long would this store for?

Eva Szasz said...

Adam, I have opened one year old jam jars and they were perfectly fine! You cook the jam twice, also I use the olds fashion technique steaming/cooking my jars after I have closed them. If you want to know more about how to preserve without preservatieves (just to be on the safe side), then read my post about rhubarb!! Hope you will make and like the jam:)

Chetna Gupta said...

Looks great!Will definitely be making it.