Saturday, July 14, 2012

Delicious Yoghurt Soda Bread with Dried Fruit and Nuts


Finally I'm on holiday and finally I'm on my own so I have some time to take pics of what I cook and bake!
Today I have been mowing the lawn (it was worse than a workout session), dying some old beige (=boring) curtains and watering the garden. Needless to say, I have been having a bad hair day and I just didn’t felt like changing to respectable clothes only to buy bread. I pulled out a bread book that I bought for myself as Christmas present but never had time to bake from it, and started to
search for a nice bread recipe. I found several that I liked but most of them were sour dough recipes and I was getting really hungry when I came to a chapter for Breads with baking powder and baking soda. Perfect! It took 3 minutes to mix the ingredients, then an hour to bake it and 5 seconds to eat 3 slices with lots of butter :)

It was fabulous! I don't like to use superlatives when it's not needed - well, yes I do, but I would never say it about food I don't reeeeaaaally like.
All I can say: try it. You won't regret it.

 

Yoghurt Soda Bread with Dried Fruit and Nuts

1 bread

1dl rolled oats
3dl graham flour
5dl wheat flour
2tsp baking soda
1tsp salt
3/4dl chopped dried figs or apricots (I used both)
1/2dl chopped hazel nuts
4dl yoghurt or soured milk
3/4dl golden syrup or dark syrup (I only used 1/2dl)
(1dl=100ml)

Mix everything, put it in a 1,5 liter loaf tin and bake it for 1 hour at 175C. Done. No kneading, no forming, nothing, just let it cool a bit and enjoy!


Note: the dried figs, apricots and yoghurt in the bread are not only pretty and delicious, but they are helping to balance the pH of the bread and make it more alkaline. To make this bread ever healthier, I will try to reduce further the amount of the syrup and add more yoghurt, perhaps add a bit more dried fruit.

4 comments:

julie said...

It looks delicious and healthy! Enjoy your holiday :)

vonsachsen said...

Thank you, Julie:) and yes, I'm hoping it's healthier than it would be without the fruits and nuts.

sewa mobil jakarta said...

Very nice, thanks for the information.

sewa mobil jakarta said...

Very nice, thanks for the information.