nice but pricey

I have been waiting for the asparagus season since the end of last summer! I know I should be enjoying the abundance of every season but I loooove asparagus. Leafing through Twelve by Tessa Kiros made me wish I lived in Italy, because down there the season starts already in March. (Actually, leafing through this book is all I´ve done, I just never seem to be inspired to cook anything. So any recommendations are more than welcome.)

After almost three weeks of flirting with those beautiful green shoots, yesterday I decided to buy a bunch of Spanish asparagus. They were a bit pricey but I just couldn´t resist anymore.
I decided to cook the marinated chicken on a bed of caramelized asparagus from an old Aussie delicious magazine.
I made the marinade and the parsley sauce last night and left everything in the fridge over the night and this evening when I came home from work, I just had to pull the chicken out, heat the griddle pan and within 15 minutes I had a delish dinner on the table. This is exactly how it should be all weekdays and my intention is to find recipes for real fast but flavourful food.

The recipe was originally for 4 servings but as this blog is about tea for one, I converted it to suit my needs. Also the marinade uses evo oil fro the marinade but I want that to burn on the griddle pan so I use frying olive oil there instead and evo oil only in for the sauce. I also used more asparagus than the original recipe - and it wouldn´t hurt with still more - since I want to have the veggie as a side, not only as decoration. I guess for many of you this isn´t really new, the lemon, parsley, garlic combination is a well proven one but I can warmly recommend this dish. If you are doubling it, it might still be enough with 1/2 garlic for the parsley sauce.

chicken marinated in lemon & garlic with asparagus
serves 1
by Curtis Stone

25 ml olive oil
zest of 1/2 lemon
1 garlic clove, roughly crushed
1 tsp chopped sage leaves
1 chicken breast fillet
7 thick asparagus spears, trimmed, halved lengthways
10-15g unsalted butter

parsley and lemon sauce

juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
25 ml evo oil

Combine olive oil, lemon zest, garlic, sage and chicken in a shallow dish, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
For sauce, place ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake to combine. Season to taste, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
Heat griddle pan or barbecue to medium heat and cook chicken over heat for 4-5 minutes. Turn and cook for further 8 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil and rest for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, blanch the asparagus in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 30 seconds, then drain well.
Place the butter on the pan and top with the asparagus. Cook over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes or until asparagus has lightly caramelised, then season to taste.
Carve chicken breast into 3 pieces and place on a serving plate with the asparagus. Drizzle some of the sauce around the plate and serve the remaining sauce separately.

Comments

Anna said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said…
curtis stone - a good old aussie foodie!
Freya and Paul said…
I can't wait to get some fresh asparagus, it's ready from our local stand right now, just got to drive out there and get it!

Have you got your Tamasin Day-Lewis book yet? Its unputdownable!

Popular Posts