thai-style curried fish

Today I´m - thank God - not in a philosophical mood. Today I will tell you strictly about my lunch. My freezer is packed with vegetables and fish and meat and ice-cream so I thought it would be nice to make some place in there. Also, it wouldn´t hurt to use some food up so that I could stuff the freezer with fresh things again. It must be my eastern European upbringing that makes me such a hoarder but I don´t feel good until both my freezer and my fridge are full. The fact that I´m single and don´t eat that much doesn´t even cross my mind.
So yesterday I pulled out some nice plaice fillets with two different recipes in mind. The first one I´ve found in Tessa Kiros´ Falling Cloudberries and the other one in an old issue of delicious. Since Tessa´s recipe is an oven baked story, I didn´t want to start the oven only for one portion. Anyway, I decided to go with the delicious.recipe. I tinkered a bit with the recipe, halved the fish and reduced the sauce with one quarter but kept the amount of vegetables.
I see people with chronic complaints on a daily basis and very often one of the main problems is a very low ph value. I don´t want to become obsessed about my food but there are many shortcuts that you can use. Both zucchini and carrots are basic (as in ph) so those are good vegetables to eat more of. Also I substituted caster sugar with brown sugar.


thai-style curried fish

Ingredients (serves 2)
1 tbs vegetable oil
2 carrots, cut into wafer-thin strips
1 zucchini, cut into wafer-thin strips
1-2 tbs Thai red curry paste
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp fish sauce
200 ml coconut milk
2 quite large boneless fish fillets
Coriander leaves, to garnish
Pearl barley, to serve

Method
Heat oil in a fry pan. Stir-fry vegetables for 1-2 minutes, then set aside. Add curry paste to pan, stir for 30 seconds. Add sugar, fish sauce, coconut milk and fish, then simmer for 3-4 minutes until cooked. Return vegetables to the pan to warm through. Garnish with coriander and serve with rice.

I decided to serve the fish with pearl barley instead of the steamed rice. I love basmati rice but barley has got a very low GI index with slow carbohydrates. I started to think about things like this for several months ago, when I noticed that my abdomen would swell like a balloon after the meals. After dieting for a while I realised that my worse enemies were my beloved potatoes, pasta and rice, the common denominator being the high starch content and all of them having high GI indexes).
This was a nice meal but I would have preferred it a bit more spicy.

Comments

Popular Posts