torta al limone - a taste of yellow





There is something I would like to draw your attention to. You migth have seen it already, it´s about a blog event called A Taste of Yellow. Our fellow blogger Barbara over at Winos and Foodies invites food blogers to participate in LiveStrong Day by making some type of dish containing yellow food.

"LIVESTRONG Day is the Lance Armstrong Foundation's (LAF) grassroots advocacy initiative to unify people affected by cancer and to raise awareness about cancer survivorship issues on a national level and in local communities across the country. LIVESTRONG Day 2007 will occur on Wednesday, May 16."

I thought I will try to bake something if I´ll have the time somewhere next week but I guess this tart that I made yesterday wouldn´t be all too wrong either.

Main ingredient as yellow as can be

Four or five years ago I have been visiting restaurant Sassi´s in Gothenburg and all I could remember of the whole meal was a wonderful Torta al Limone. I have been trying to get hold of the recipe - this far without any luck - but I haven´t given up yet, having a friend who knows the owner of the restaurant, but he just doesn´t seem too willing to share...
Biggest problem is that there are numerous recipes for Torta al Limone and I don´t even remember what the cake looked or tasted like anymore, besides that it was divine.

Anyway, I decided to try different recipes until I eventually exclaim: "this is the one!". The first one I tried is from Carlotta - fellow forummer on nigella.com - who has kindly translated the fallowing recipe for me. Thank you Carlotta :)


Torta al Limone

For the pastry:
250g flour 100g sugar
125g butter, softened
pinch of salt
4 tbsp milk
1 egg

For the filling:
50g sugar
2 eggs, separated
50g butter
juice of 2 lemons

Place the butter, flour, salt and sugar in a food processor and pulse till the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg ans milk and process until the dough comes together. Gather into as ball, wrap in clingfilm and put into the fridge for 1-2 hours.
Lightly butter a 24 cm tart tin with a removable base. Roll out the pastry and put it into the tin. Trim the edge and with the trimmings make a edge all around. Preheat the oven to 180°. Line the pastry case with baking parchment, fill it with baking beans and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and the beans and cook for another 10 minutes. Let it cool.
Make the filling beating the sugar and egg yolks until light and creamy. Cook in a pan over barely simmering water at low heat for 10 minutes. Add the cubed butter and cook for 3 minutes. Add the lemon juice, mix and cook for another 5 minutes. Cool a little. Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff, then fold them into the cream mixture.
Pour the cream into the pastry shell, dust it with icing sugar and cook in the preheated oven to 250° for 5 minutes. Cool and serve.

Torta al Limone

Recipe says you should sprinkle with icing sugar and then put in the oven for 5 minutes at 250C. Well, that is exactly what I did but the top didn´t look very pretty, it started to burn very quickly and since the filling was still very soft I couldn´t even lay a bakind parchment on it. I guess you could just try is without the sugar-sprinkling part.

This lemon tart is very nice but this just isn´t IT... So the search goes on...

Comments

Bao Zhu said…
The pictures make me want to eat
They look so nice
hehe
Barbara said…
I love your lemon tart. It looks delicious.

Popular Posts