caesar cleopatra

I have a confession to make. I have never had a Caesar salad as I can´t stand anchovies. As I mentioned earlier, I don´t like fish and particularly not anchovies. I have only tried it twice in Pasta Puttanesca but I think I´ll wait for another couple of years before trying it again. After eating it I scrubbed my hands and my mouth over and over again and I just couldn´t get rid of the smell. Horrible!

You can imagine how delighted I was when I found a recipe in Nigella´s Forever Summer on this "fake Caesar" with no anchovies in it. Nigella has omitted the croutons as well because she doesn´t like them but I love that crunchy addition to a salad so I made some croutons using a slice of brown bread, drizzled with olive oil and roasted in the oven at 200C for about 7-8 minutes. I fiddled a bit with the sauce and added a little mustard and one tiny clove of garlic. It was delicious! The mmmmm-factor was very high here, so Caesar and Cleopatra made a glorious entry onto my list over staples.


Caesar Cleopatra...and I
serves a couple or a hungry single :)

1/2 cos lettuce
1 egg yolk
1/2 tbsp mustard
1 small clove of garlic
2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
the juice of half a lemon
1-2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
1 small grilled, cold, shredded chicken breast
1 avocado
handful of croutons

Make the dressing by whisking the egg yolk adding the mustard and then adding the oil slowly. Whisk again, adding the lemon juice and the garlic. Tear the lettuce into large chunks and dress it with the sauce. Sprinkle over the parmesan, add the chicken bits, avocado and croutons.

Comments

MidwestMaven said…
Thanks for sharing the recipe! I'm also not fond of anchovies, but I love caesar salad - so this is going in my To Try pile!
Kelly-Jane said…
I'm not very keen on anchovies either, I'm better than I used to be, if a recipe says 10 I'll add 1 or 2 max - it used to be O!

Your salad looks lovely, I've made it a few times, usually in the Summer, so nearly time :)

Popular Posts