tamasin x2

Now I´ve had a bit more time to look into my new Tamasin books and I have to say that this far Tamasin´s Weeken Food is leading in spite of it´s only 140 pages as opposed to Tamasin´s Kitchen Bible with 510 pages.

I used to think that the more recipes and pics the better but now I see that that´s not always the case. To start with I like the layout of Weekend Food better, it´s somehow prettier, more romantic or perhaps the pics are more summery. The way the book is divided in chapters like Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday lunch, Tea time I find very appealing. It says a lot about what type of recipes you find in the respective chapter, whether it is time consuming or easy, quick dishes.

According to Tamasin her "bible" is more bold, vibrant, arresting, simple, elegant and sexy. Well, it might be all those things but I just don´t like it. And how many recipes do I girl needs for mayo and Creme Brulé ? No, I´m not being really fair here. This is what it states to be: a basic cookbook and a very versatile one actually, with Geranium Creme and Vietnamese Dipping Sauce in the Classic Recipes section. Hmm, I think I need to give it more time before deciding how I feel about it.

In the Weekend Food I have bookmarked at least ten-fifteen recipes!
To give you a taste there is Baked Cod with Romesco Sauce and Greek Potatoes, White Chocolate Tart with Raspberries, Kirkham´s Lancashire Cheese and Apple Tart, Almond and Orange Florentines, Cod Charmoula, Drenched Ginger and Lemon Cake, Daube of Pork with Apricots, Pineapple and Walnut Upside-Down Cake, Orange-Scented Ricotta Cake. Nothing groundbreaking perhaps but I find these recipes doable. I also like that she gives ideas what to serve the different recipes with. It makes my life so much easier, since I´m lacking fantasy when it comes to this matter.

The only negative reflection I have about this hardback edition is that this seems to be a miniature version of the first hardback and paperback editions. It´s really annoying and hard to read. So if you want to buy this book, I would recommend you to buy it in the original size.

I wanted to try something easy so I made Easy Roast Tomato Soup with Cheese and Thyme Scones from the Weekend Food. I used plum tomatoes instead of cheery tomatoes because I find it has more flavour.




Roasted tomatoes and garlic just out of the oven - smelled heavenly

While roasting the tomatoes I prepared the scones. I substituted milk for yogurt, I like the tartness it gives and it is healthier too.
The soup turned out nicely but nothing that rocked my world, however the scones were a hit! These I´m going to make again, they were very nice with a plain cup of tea. Since I can´t eat a whole batch in one day (well, actually I could...) I tried to freeze a couple of them. They freeze quite well, I pulled the frozen ones out in the morning, let them thaw for couple of hours and then put them in the microwave only for a few seconds just to warm them slightly. Very nice. Also at room temperature, without the microwaving part they were delish!




Cheese and Thyme Scones
Makes 12 scones
50g butter
225g strong white flour
a pinch of sea salt
1 tbsp baking powder
110g strong cheddar
1 tsp English mustard powder
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
a pinch of cayenne pepper
150ml of yogurt (or milk)

Preheat the oven to 200 C. Rub the butter into the flour, salt and baking powder. Add 2/3 of the coarsely grated cheese and the mustard, thyme and cayenne and the yogurt. You might not need it all but you want a soft dough. Roll it out into 1.5 cm thickness, then cut with an upturned glass or pastry cutter. Put the scones on a baking tray lined with baking parchment, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for five minutes before you eat hot with lashings of butter.
Next time I make the scones, I´ll try to put in an extra 1/2 tsp of mustard powder as I think I would like it a bit more spicy but it was very nice as it was.

Comments

Kelly-Jane said…
Hi! Thanks for posting on my blog, I didn't know you had one!

It looks great, all your dishes are so fresh and vibrant. The soup and scone looks yummy, mmm.

I like Weekend Food too, and like you I found the chapter headings really helpful.

Looking forward to reading more :)

KJxx
Shaun said…
Hi...Yay - another Tamasin fan!! I think Freya (of Writing at the Kitchen Table fame) and I were worried we would be boring our blog readers with more Tamasin experiments, but with more people reading her, interest has clearly been cultivated. The great thing about her Bible is that each time you read it, you come across something new. It took me three passes through the book before coming across her gorgeous Stem Ginger and Spice Ice Cream. I beg you to give Tamasin's Kitchen Bible a few more good, long looks :-)
Freya and Paul said…
The Bible is a one stop shop for classic foods but I admit I use her Tart books and Good Tempered Food most of all! They have the more unusual recipes. Glad you like her though!

Popular Posts