limoncello cupcakes - a taste of yellow II.

               Limoncello Cupcake



I´m out in last minute - as usual. Few days ago I posted about a blog event called A taste of yellow when I made the Torta al Limone but that just wasn´t yellow enough. Since then I have been cooking a few more yellow dishes, like an asparagus soup and the Limoncello Cupcakes that will be my contribution.

I know that everybody is blogging about asparagus at the moment and that is not that peculiar really as the very short asparagus season has just started and everybody wants to exploit it as much as possible. I have seen various recipes for Asparagus soup (take a look at Freya´s from Writing at the Kitchen Table here) and I´ve also found one in my new Tamasin´s Kitchen Bible.

Most recipes use creme fraiche or sour creme but also shallots and even though they have only a very subtle onion taste, I was afraid that they will overpower the asparagus. After looking all over the net and my cookbooks and magazines, finally I found one that I thought I would like. I found it in a Swedish food magazine called Mat och Vänner (Food and Friends) and the recipe comes from a restaurateur on Gotland (a Swedish island).




The soup is absolutely delicious! I know I have been making lots of soups and salads lately (I should consider renaming my blog to Soup-girl :P) but this one is really a good one.


Asparagus Soup
serves 4 (yeah, right, if you serve it in small sauce bowls, it´s more like 2 for me)

150g green asparagus
200ml chicken stock (I used a very light vegetable stock)
200ml cream
100ml white wine
salt, pepper

Trim asparagus but keep four tips for garnishing. Cut the stems into 2-3 cm pieces and simmer in the vegetable/chicken stock and wine for 10 minutes.
Add the cream and reheat to just under boiling point. Mix it with a handmixer and sieve. Season to taste.
Steam the four asparagus tips for about 3 minutes. Whisk the soup with a cappuccino whisk so that it builds a thick scum before serving. (I don´t own one as you can see, so I tried with a handwhisk but without any success)


The Limoncello Cupcakes recipe I´ve found at 52 Cupcakes last summer and have been baking them a few times since. These cupcakes have the perfect combination of sweet and sour and they are a bit chewy somehow. I only made a half a batch this time because I find they don´t keep too well for more than three days. I seem to substitute buttermilk with yogurt a lot, as yogurt is what I always have in my fridge.

I wanted these cupcakes to be so pretty but the cupcake cases just didn´t want to stick to the cupcakes...

 Non-stick cupcake cases :P


So, what is a poor girl to do then? Hmmm... either put them in new cases:


...or serve them on small plates:




Lemon Cupcakes with Limoncello Glaze

makes 10 cupcakes


240ml/1 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
180 ml/3/4 cup sugar
60g unsalted butter, room temp.
2 large eggs
90ml buttermilk
60ml/1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp finely grated lemon peel

Glaze and topping:

90ml (or more) powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons Limoncello
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
3-4 large strawberries or 10 raspberries

Preheat over to 170 C. Line 10 cupcake pan with liners. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time.
Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions. Beat in lemon juice and lemon peel.
Divide batter among liners.Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 15-18 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to racks.

Glaze: Stir icing sugar, butter, limoncello, lemon juice, and grated lemon peel in small saucepan over low heat until butter melts and glaze comes to simmer. Whisk in additional powdered sugar by tablespoonfuls if glaze is very thin (I always need more). Spoon 1 teaspoon warm glaze over each warm cupcake. Cool cupcakes completely. Arrange 1 strawberry on top of each cupcake. Drizzle remaining limoncello glaze over them. Let cupcakes stand until glaze sets, about 2 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.

Comments

Kelly-Jane said…
Your soup and cupcakes look lovely.

It's a great event. I made Banana Cream Pie, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I've posted it occurs to me it's not yellow atall! I just hope the bananas count :)
Freya and Paul said…
The cupcakes look like little desserts and the soup sounds great! I made asparagus soup myself last week and it is great!
Barbara said…
THese cupcakes are delightful. Thank you for both your yellow entries. Welcome to blogging.
Anonymous said…
please get a new font
vonsachsen said…
Anonymous, you are absolutely right!;) I was playing around with new templates, then I didn't have the time to change it back...thanks for the push, I'm hoping it's easier to read now!

Popular Posts