what´s the taste of heaven?

OK, this is NOT a lecture. As you know I´m reading Angela´s Ashes (I have been doing it for a while now but I only read it on the tram) and it really makes me think, and thank God or whomever you believe or not believe in, that we have food in abundance. This wasn´t always the case for me but my childhood was a dance on roses in comparison with Frank McCourt´s (or my mothers, for that matter). Most of the time they didn´t have anything to eat but plain tea, often made from the morning´s leaves, and bread.

As I said, this is not a lecture. I´m not going to tell you to think about starving children all over the world, but I feel that sometimes we might just take food for granted. And of course not just whatever food, but we are chasing new flavour combinations and taste sensations, striving to reach new culinary heights, try new ingredients because we get tired of the same old.

I can hear you asking "OK, where is this going?"
I just wanted this to be a reminder for myself to be grateful for my everyday bread and appreciate the old and the simple more, and I want to share this wonderful part with you:

"I say to him ,Why can´t you go to England, Dad, so we can have electricity and wireless and Mam can stand at the door and tell the world what we´re having at dinnertime?...
...He sighs, Och, aye, och, aye. All right he´ll go to England after Christmas...
...The women stand outside the pubs talking. Mam tells Mrs. Meehan, The first telegram money order I get I´ll be in the shop buying a big breakfast so that we can all have our own egg of a Sunday morning.
I look at my brother Malachy. Did you hear that? Our own egg of a Sunday morning. Oh God, I already had plans for my egg. Tap it around the top, gently crack the shell, lift with a spoon, a dab of butter down into the yolk, salt, take my time, a dip of the spoon, scoop, more salt, more butter, into the mouth, oh, God above, if heaven has a taste it must be an egg with butter and salt, and after the egg is there anything in the world lovelier than a fresh warm bread and a mug of sweet golden tea?"

Comments

Kelly-Jane said…
That passage is really thought provoking, it's easy to not be thankful enough for what we have. True poverty like that is deeply uncomfortable and shocking in our surplus food world.

KJxx
Lisa said…
I am so glad you shared your thoughts on this. For years I have wanted to read that book, but I haven't b/c I know it is going to be heartbreaking. I will read it though.
I don't know what your mom's experience was, but my mom also had a hard childhood, and was malnourished. I never forget her stories, but thank you for the reminder to appreciate our bread and our tea and our eggs.
vonsachsen said…
Exactly, Kelly-Jane! It is shocking if you haven´t experienced hunger yourself and it really brings forth memories if you have. Either way, this book doesn´t leave you indifferent.

Lisa,I´m so sorry your mom had to experience that too, because it´s something that leaves it´s imprints forever...some can handle it better and some can´t.
And please, do read the book. It is heartbreaking, yes, I´m crying and then laughing on the next sentence, but it is purifying letting all those feelings be rinsed out by the tears...

(I am aware of how sticky this sounds but for once in my life I don´t care about it...after all this is MY blog ;P)
Little Foodie said…
I couldn't agree more! The simple things in life are so important to be grateful and thankful for. So much more important than the big stuff.
Re: Angela's Ashes. I don't think I've cried more reading a book. The film is not a patch on the book. Anyway to brighter things you said you were off to Greece. Enjoy every moment! Amanda
Little Foodie said…
p.s. having read through some of your delicious blog. Just wanted to say you have some great recipes here and I love the picture behind your title.
Freya and Paul said…
Beautifully written and thought provoking as KJ says. Thanks for sharing this with us!
vonsachsen said…
Thanks for stopping by Amanda:)
Didn´t know that there is a movie too, but I guess it is as most of the time, the books are a lot better than the movies.
I´m glad you like my "header", that´s one of the shelves in my kitchen:)

Popular Posts