quick lunch or supper


Last year we had a wonderful summer and I have been using my Crazy Water Pickled Lemons a lot. This summer it has been raining five weeks in a row (I don´t have to tell you guys, especially you from UK will know, unfortunately) with only two days when the sun peeked out from behind the clouds for a few hours. That meant that Ms Henry has been neglected big time...Anyway, in my the quicker it goes the cooking the better mood I remembered her filled sweet potatoes that I have been preparing a few times last year. On the Traveller´s Lunchbox there is a variation on this with onions and chopped capsicum, but after trying it that way, I decided to keep the capsicums and dismiss the onions. I felt that it killed the fennel and coriander and I loved that taste as it was. The capsicum on the other hand made the dish a bit more filling, crunchy, colorful and ...do I dare saying healthy (with all that vitamin C in it) ?

Sweet potatoes are full of vitamin E without containing lots of fat, that other foods rich in vitamin E tend to have, so it´s very good food. Also I have noticed, that although I don´t tolerate "normal" potatoes, I don´t have any problems with sweet potatoes.

Oh, too much talk and the dish is not really a dish, it´s very simple and you can turn it into a quick lunch if you "boil" the potatoes in the micro oven. (Takes about 10 minutes, of course this could be the start of another discussion about how healthy is using a micro... ;) but...let´s turn it into something positive and say that we are very conscious of nature and our resources and to save some energy we use the micro instead of the oven...)

I didn´t take a picture as I "microed" it at work for lunch and only had the filling with me that I prepared the evening before, so I am using a pic that I had taken last year... I see that I only had green olives than, but use nice black olives, it´s both more aesthetic and of course tastes much better.


Baked Sweet Potato w Marinated Feta and Black Olives
serves 1

1 medium sweet potato
a little olive oil
black pepper
1 large tbs or 2 black Kalamata olives
a few leaves of coriander, chopped
1/4-1/2 (depending on the size and your taste) red capsicum, chopped

for the feta:
75g feta cheese, in cubes
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 red chilli, cut into fine slivers
1/4 garlic clove, crushed
a good pinch of coriander seeds, crushed
EV olive oil

Mix the feta with the other ingredients and set in a cool place.
Bake the sweet potato in it´s skin in a preheated oven on 180 C (350F) for about 50 minutes, but check with a skewer.
When the potatoes are cooked, split them open lengthways, sprinkle with oil and pepper and fill with the marinated feta. Garnish with olives, chopped capsicum and coriander.
Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche, sour creme or creamy yogurt if you like. Last summer I tried it with the tzatziki recommended on Traveller´s Lunchbox but it was a bit too much of a mix of tastes for me...

Comments

Kelly-Jane said…
Looks stunning, such pretty colours :)

How long so you microwave a sweet potato for? I have wondered this before!

KJxx
vonsachsen said…
Depends on the size...of course ;)
For a real big one it took about 10-12 minutes but of course you have to check from time to time, it´s the best way. Also, don´t forget to make lots of timy holes with a skewer or a fork, so that it won´t explode on you! You don´t really need water, as it is watery in itself, but I´m a bit coward, so I always have a little water or just put the potatoes on a damp kitcken paper. Good luck!

xx
Paola said…
Your dish look fabulous! I just came across your blog and it's fantastic!! Oh, and I love that picture of you! It so full of color yet so serene. Gorgeous!

paola

Popular Posts