lamb tagine express



I hope I didn´t fool you to believe it is one of Nigella´s new dishes;)
I found this recipe on Almost Turkish Recipes and what made me interested was the mode of preparation. (Do check out Burcu´s blog, you´ll find many good recipes there.)

This is a dish cooked in a pressure cooker, which means that after working the steam up (let´s say about 15 minutes) cooking time is only 15 more minutes and voila, you have a delicious lamb stew on the table!

I love lamb, as you can see by looking at the labels, but tagine takes a long time to cook (I see how the title of the post tagine express is a paradox, as tagine is a slow cooked dish), and it´s not often I have that time. I remembered that I had a pressure cooker somewhere on the attic, a wedding gift I received - but never used - for about 17 years ago... I have always felt a bit intimidated by pressure cookers as I´ve heard terrible stories about them exploding when I was a child.

When I finally put the pot on and heard the well-known sound of the steam, it brought back memories. My mother used to cook a lot in her pressure cooker in the 70´ies and 80´ies, and I was suddenly transferred into my childhoods kitchen on a Sunday morning. I must admit I ran out of the kitchen every time the sound from the pc changed and was only peaking in from behind the door...but it went well and I definitely have the intention to start using this wonderful pot again.

I was thinking about trying this recipe and then if it works, adapt favourite tagine recipes for the pressure cooker.
Middle Eastern Lamb Stew
(yields: 3 pers if served with pita, but I imagine it would be enough for 4 if served with couscous)

500g boneless lamb, cut into 2,5cm cubes
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium Chinese eggplants, peeled lengthwise in stripes and diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp crushed hot pepper
salt and pepper
2-3 cups plain yogurt
2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, very finely chopped

*Heat the oil in big pot and brown the meat on all sides.
*Add onion, garlic, and eggplants. Cook until onion is soft.
*Add the remaining ingredients (except for yogurt and mint leaves). Season to taste.
*Cover pressure cooker and first bring to full pressure over high heat and then reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from burner and release the pressure.
*In a bowl mix yogurt and mint leaves.
*Serve the stew with minty yogurt on the side or on the top.


There were no oohs and ahhhs when I took the first mouthful of stew, no flavour explosions, wasn´t too exotic, but then I tried it with the peppermint yogurt and it really did the difference (as Burcu stated on her blog). This is not a dish I would choose if I had a Middle Eastern theme for guests, but this is something I would cook for family and close friends a cold and foggy autumn evening, and that says a lot.

Comments

burcu said…
I totally agree with you about the minty yogurt sauce; to me it was a much better recipe tip than the recipe itself. Nice pictures btw!
vonsachsen said…
Thanks for the visit and for the inspiration! This is not the first time you inspire me to try one of your recipes :)
Kelly-Jane said…
I haven't made a tagine for so long, seeing this one I think I should :)
vonsachsen said…
Kelly-Jane, stew is the perfect autumn/winter food, I reckon :)
Kitchen Goddess said…
Yes you did fool me with the title :) I thought is was a review of the Nigella Express tagine.

Lovely photo's, lovely write up, very inspirational.

George xx

Popular Posts