cinnamon plums and french toast



It´s Saturday morning and I wake up to the raindrops smattering on the windowsill. As soon as I open my eyes, my first thought is that there is a large Congress going on in the city. Should I go? I´ve been invited to take part and also to this evenings festivities. Yaaawn! It´s warm and cozy in the bed and I love the fact that I don´t have to get up and run if I don´t want to. I´m stretching and yawning again, don´t know when I did it last time. I have a strange theory about me being too tense to yawn, so for a moment I feel happy for being able to yawn. Are you yawning yet? Because there are theories about yawning being contagious ;) I think I just set a record in using the word yawn ...let´s see...seven times in six sentences.



The fact that it will be food involved in tonight's meeting is rather tempting, notwithstanding that one of the guests lecturing is quite a wellknown homeopath from Norway and he will be presenting a case that interests me.

I´m looking out of the window again and see that the trees outside my house are starting to look a bit...stripped. They still wear most of their leaves but there is more yellow then green ones left. They hold on for their lives but the wind has been quite strong last night and many of them just let go... I am saying myself a loud Good morning and still in bed I start thinking about breakfast.

A bright smile is spreading on my face as I remember that I have bought some plums and a smallish baguette last night to make Nigella´s Cinnamon Plums With French Toast.

As soon as I got up and took a look at the recipe I realised that I´ve done it again. What´s wrong with me not reading through recipes carefully enough? First ingredient on the list was cranberry juice and - of course - I didn´t have any. It´s not that common in Sweden unless you have urinary tract infection, so it is nothing I have lying around in my fridge. I remembered that I had some verjuice left from poaching peaches for another of my favourite breakfasts, and I just made up my own recipe from there. Don´t have the measurements exactly, but then it´s nothing complicated either. I thought it was way too much sugar in the original recipe, I prefer to taste the flavour of the plums, so I used less. Nigella uses brioches for the toast, and that I can´t find here either, so I used plain white baguette.
I don´t know what Nigella´s version would have been like, but I must say I was very contented with my concoction :)




Cinnamon Plums With French Toast

Adapted from Nigella Lawson At My Table
NYT 11-10-04
1 large serving or 2 small ones

For the plums:
4 large plums
1 stick of cinnamon, about 4 cm
100 ml verjuice
about 2-3 tbsp brown sugar
100-200 ml water

For the French Toast:
1 egg
2 tbsp milk
a dash of cinnamon
1 tsp sugar
butter
6 slices of baguette, sliced diagonally



If you would like to make Nigella´s version, here is the original recipe:
serves 5-6

For the Plums:
2 cups cranberry juice
1 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 pounds plums, halved and pitted

For the French toast:
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons butter
6 half-inch slices brioche

1. In a wide saucepan, combine cranberry juice and sugar. Place over low heat, and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add cinnamon stick, and raise heat to bring to a boil; boil for about 2 minutes.

2. Add plums, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until plums are tender but not disintegrating, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside. (Plums may be served warm or at room temperature; reheat if desired.)

3. In a large bowl, whisk together egg, milk, ground cinnamon and sugar. Place a large skillet over medium-low heat, and add butter, spreading it in the pan. Dip three slices of brioche in the egg mixture, so they absorb the liquid but don't fall to pieces. Place in skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes a side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with remaining three slices brioche.

4. Place a portion of French toast on each plate with a serving of plum halves and their syrup.











Comments

annauk said…
What a lovely post - I love your writing!
The plums look fab too!
Paola said…
Now that's my type of food! LOVE the piccies!!

paola
Gloria said…
What's nice plums and I love french toasts!!!!! Gloria
Ilana said…
Mmmmm. I have seen this recipe so many times in the NY Times column but never got around to making it. I don't think I have ever really eaten cooked fruit. Hmmmnn. Yours look so beautiful and what beautiful colors.

I love waking up to rain... on weekends, that is. Rain sucks when you have to go to work. (=:
Sylvia said…
This is my first visit to you blog. And is amazing.I really appreciate the way that you write.By the way i love French toast
vonsachsen said…
Thank you Ladies, you are very kind to me! :)

Anna, I saw your latest entry, I´m saving it to read with my afternoon cuppa.

Paola, I´m happy you like my piccies (as I love yours and the atmosphere you usually capture):)

Gloria, French Toast is one of my favourite too, you can have it as both savoury or sweet, depending on mood.

Ilana, I like cooked fruit because it compliments pancakes or french toast so well,and the same time as it satisfies my sweet tooth, it is also a healthy alternative.

Welcome Sylvia, I´m happy you´ve found your way to my blog :)Thanks for the nice words, feels like I´m surrounded by wonderful people :)

vs
xx
smul said…
du och nigella - såååå tighta! ;)

ser också gott ut!
vonsachsen said…
Hehe, i brist på annan... ;)
Sandy said…
I love your photos, writing and food! Those plums look incredible.
Kelly-Jane said…
A lovely post, a long lie, I can't remember what that feels like!

Plums are gorgeous in taste and colour when poached and you have really captured that here, mmm.
Gloria said…
Vonsachsen Hi, where are for these days, I coming to see you, we miss you. xxx Gloria
Gloria said…
Hello, I am worry about you, how are you??? Gloria
vonsachsen said…
Gloria, thank you for your concern, you are very sweet!
I have been using Roast Figs, Sugar Snow a lot lately, I have taken photos too, but I jsut didn´t have the time to do a write up, and to type up the recipes. I have my mother on a visit here and I´ve been working a lot. Blogging takes time, and that is something that I don´t have at the moment :D

I´ll visit yor blog, see what you have been up to! I thought you were still on vacation! Hope you had a nice time.

Eva
xoxo

Popular Posts