prawn and pumpkin curry and breakfast bars

Today it was Nigella Express day. I had her Red Prawn and Mango Curry and with my afternoon cuppa I had a Breakfast Bar.
Breakfast Bars in the afternoon...I know, but I had a cinnamon bun with my 10 o´clock tea and I tried to maintain some balance. This week I felt like compensating. I am a bit low at the moment, I don´t know if it´s the autumn light and the damp, slightly foggy mornings or if it´s just sheer loneliness. Usually I handle it quite well, but then sometimes when I relax it just sneaks in under my skin and makes me feel uncomfortable and itchy. Nothing serious though, forgive me for whingeing, it will pass after demolishing a few packets of pralines, perhaps a big lemon cake and a few nice books.




Talking about books, I ordered four books from Amazon two nights ago. I have been salivating for Jake Tilson´s The Tale of 12 Kitchens ever since it was published sometimes last autumn. Then I found a novel called Pomegranate Soup about a Persian family that moves to Ireland and opens a cafe. Every story starts with a recipe and this way the recipes become more personal. I hope. I also hope they will be inspiring and that it will be a good read. Third book is Chocolate and Zucchini, not a new one either, but now was the time for me. Also a book with stories from the life of a Parisienne and 80 recipes. Forth book...eeh...what was the forth book? Oh, yes, A nice cup of tea and a sit down. As I love tea and everything about and around tea, I thought this sounded like the perfect autumn book to read with a nice hot cuppa.

Back to the curry then. It was very nice but it reminded me of Nigella´s Sweet Potato and Chickpea curry from "At my table". (Articles published by the NYT) I found it a bit too much with both pumpkin, sweet potatoes and mangoes. Also the mango I found was a bit unripe, so every time a got mango in my mouth, I made funny faces. You would think that the sweet and sour tastes were melting together nicely, but not with my mango, not. Next time I won´t even consider using a mango, sour or not, I just didn´t think it added anything special to this curry. Recipe you find at Pistachio´s kitchen, also a proper write up about this dish. (Seems like I´m a copycat, huh? You could say that, but I choose to express it as "inspiration";))


Now, about the Breakfast Bars, they were really nice. I don´t know what I expected, not much actually, but they were very nice. It´s not like I could eat few of them with a cup of tea for breakfast and that´s it, but I rather eat it when I feel like munching on something and want to have a healthier variant. Nice and almost crunchy the day of the baking, perhaps next day too, after that they got a bit soft. I don´t find the right word here, not soft, but they were not crunchy anymore...


They are very easy to make, you just mix all the dry ingredients and then add the warmed condensed milk with a spatula. Spread the mixture in the pan and press down to even the surface. Bake for 1 hour, then remove from the oven and cool for about 15 minutes. Cut into 16 bars and leave to cool completely in the tin.





Breakfast Bars
16 bars

1 x 397g can condensed milk
250g rolled oats (not instant)
75g shredded coconut
100g dried cranberries (I only had fresh ones)
125g mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame)
125g natural unsalted peanuts (don´t like peanuts so I substituted walnuts)

Preheat the oven to 130c/gas mark 1/2 and oil a 23x33x4cm baking tin



Comments

No Cavemen said…
I enjoy all the pictures you post. Great imagery.
vonsachsen said…
thank you :) And thanks for the visit.
smul said…
har du verkligen gjort detta helt själv?
vonsachsen said…
hihi! du skojar väl?
Breakfast Bars-en är det enklaste man kan göra, och curryn är ockå bara en fräsa, blanda och låt puttra rätt :D perfekt på kvällen när man inte hinner med något avancerat.
Vad skoj att du har hittat hit!!
smul said…
det såg gott ut. men jag är så trött att jag inte orkar läsa på engelska så jag nöjer mig med att titta på bilderna i kväll :) annars älskar jag sega grejer!
Ilana said…
Beautiful write-up. Beautiful pictures. Every time I visit your blog I feel like I am right there with you. I need to take a bath in that vat of condensed milk. Gosh how much I want to make these breakfast bars!

xoxo
Ilana
vonsachsen said…
Ilana,You are flattering me :D
hihi, yes, I wanted to just have a tsp full of the condensed milk, to try of course, and then one more and ... in the end I was afraid it won´t be enough left for the bars!

vs
xx
Gloria said…
Your recipe lokks delicious and I like sooooo the breakfast bars. xxGloria
Sandy said…
It all looks wonderful, I can't wait to make those breakfast bars either.
I'm on a hunt for books that include recipes with stories (but not necessarily cookbooks), thank you for sharing those titles. I will be sure to look for them.
Kelly-Jane said…
They look wonderful, your breakfast bars look especially pretty... might have to make more!
annauk said…
amazing pics Eva! Everything looks so delicious!
xx

Popular Posts