roasted salmon w/ pomegranate and avocado salsa


Now that we are flooded with pomegranates I started to look for recipes with these gorgeous sin red seeds. I must admit I´ve never really given it an honest chance and I have been living in the terrible misconception that I don´t like pomegranates. It has always sounded a bit mysterious, I wasn´t really sure how to open it, how to eat it, but I have always been intrigued by it´s many jewels to seeds. I have already noticed with other things (say Gorgonzola) that it takes time for my palate to "grow up". Things that I didn´t like a year ago, if I taste them again, and do it with an open mind, I find them either better, really good, or still as bad as a year ago :D Therefore I decided to give pomegranates and myself a new chance to discover something great. I found them real cheap on the beforementioned arabic openair market, cost about €1,4 for a kilo!!! Otherwisw it´s about the same price for one piece of fruit! So I bought two kilos and started to look for recipes and experiment.

I use Nigella´s technique to get the seeds out and then I just eat them with a spoon...yum! I found a recipe that I would call a lukewarm salad, but thanks to the good fats in the avocado and the fish it really is filling in a nice way. So here´s the recipe that fills all of my criterias for good food at the same time: healthy, quick, easy to prepare, filling, looks nice and tastes great.
Life is a Pomegranate
Full of juicy ruby grains
Taste them fully
One by one
Before
It is suddenly
No More
(Ada Aharoni)


Roasted Salmon with Pomegranate and Avocado Salsa
adapted from http://www.pomegranates.org/
serves 1


1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp sugar
Salt, as needed
1/2 pomegranate, seeded (really it´s enough with a 1/4, but I like it too much)
1 thinly sliced green onion
1 tbsp fresh lime juice (I only had lemon, but it was fine)
1/4 tsp finely chopped jalapeno pepper or to taste (more if you like it real hot)
1/2 small clove garlic, chopped finely
1/2 avocado, preferably Hass, cut in 1/2-inch dice
1 head hearts of Romaine
1 center-cut Salmon fillet, 6 to 7 ounces
1/4 lime, cut in two wedges to garnish (didn´t have this at all)

To prepare the salmon, rub it with the mixed coriander, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Put the salmon on a baking sheet, skin-side down.
Roast at 275˚ C about 11 minutes for medium rare (salmon should be spongy when pressed with a finger at its thickest part.) and 13 minutes for medium-well (salmon should be just firm when pressed with a finger at its thickest part.)

Up to 4 hours before serving, mix pomegranate seeds, onion, lime juice, jalapeno, and garlic; gently fold in avocado. If holding more than 30 minutes, put plastic wrap against the surface of the salsa, then tightly cover; store in the refrigerator. Remove about 30 minutes before serving. Separate the romaine leaves; wash, then dry thoroughly.

While the salmon cooks, mound the shredded romaine on a serving plate. Top with the salsa. When salmon is done, let it cool slightly-- it should be warm but not hot. Put the salmon on the plate; garnish with the lime wedges.

Comments

Gloria said…
Dear, this is so yummy I think, I love salmon and avocado, this is a nice recipe.xxxGloria
Kelly-Jane said…
What a pretty presentation! Beautiful colours.

KJxx
Ilana said…
I love that pomegranate poem. Lovely to see you back, VS. :)

Pomegranates are awesome. They are one of those things that are absolutely like nothing else, iykwim.

xoxo
Ilana
Kitchen Goddess said…
Love the pomegranate poem. Beautifully presented and the recipe sounds amazing. Yum!

xx
smul said…
himmel vad gott det ser ut!

(är det bra med dig?)
Lisa said…
What a beautiful picture! It looks delicious, and I don't even really like salmon ;).
How do you like the "Pomegranate Soup" book? It looks interesting, I think I'll order it.
Thanks for sharing this recipe.
CresceNet said…
Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.
Freya and Paul said…
A lovely, original recipe!

Popular Posts