chicken with grapes and apricots

I don´t like fruit in my food. What am I saying? I hardly eat fruit at all. I know I should love fruit. But no, I love Coke. I don´t drink it that often anymore, but I love it. Right now I have a chicken casserole type of thing on the hob and it is with grapes and apricots. Strange.

Months ago, while I was still reading blogs, I got inspired by Shaun´s enthusiasm for Feast, Silvena Rowe´s Eastern European recipes. Ever since then I have been wanting to either try some of the recipes from Shaun´s blog or buy the book. Until this date I haven´t done any of these things, but I will do both. The other day I remembered the book and googled Silvena Rowe and found a few recipes at UKTV Food. I wanted to try some recipes before buying the book as I have been disappointed a few times lately ordering books from Amazon, and now I have severalbooks standing on my bookshelf unused. One of the recipes caught my eyes because I had some lovely grapes that needed to be used...just a minute, I have to stir...

...yummy! Nice, very nice. I think Pistachio would like this, it´s sweetish, but in a very warm and cosy way. I know I shouldn´t write cosy about food, but that´s how I classify them. I like my winter dishes to be cosy.

I have been trying to take an acceptable photo, but I couldn´t . The dish has got a boring beige colour with bits of orange and green from the fruits, but it doesn´t look appetizing at all. I must think of something (pommegranates?) for the next time to cheer it up with, but taste-wise I like it very much and I can highly recommend it .

Here are some of the ingredients...of course this wine wasn´t going into the dish...


Chicken with Grapes and Apricots
by Silvena Rowe
Servings: 4

1 tbsp clear honey
1 tsp grated ginger root
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
100ml white wine
1 large chicken, about 1.8kg, quartered
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 cinnamon stick
100g seedless grapes, halved
100g apricots, pitted
2 tbsp toasted black sesame seeds
boiled rice, to serve

Method
1. In a large mixing bowl combine the honey, ginger, ground cinnamon, pepper and wine, and stir together. Rub this mixture over the chicken pieces, then add the chicken to the bowl, cover and leave it to marinate in the fridge overnight.

2. When ready to cook, drain the chicken and reserve the marinade. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan or casserole, add the onion and fry until it has just turned golden. Add the drained chicken and brown all the pieces over a medium-high heat, turning them to ensure even colour. 3. Add the chicken marinade to the pan, along with 300ml of water and the cinnamon stick. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by about half and the chicken pieces are cooked.

4. Add the grapes and apricot halves to the pan and continue simmering for 5-8 minutes. Serve almost immediately, sprinkled with the sesame seeds and accompanied by plain boiled rice.

Notes: I used two large chicken breasts but kept the amount of onion, wine (of course :)) , liquid and grapes, used slighly less cinnamon, 50 g dried apricots and only 1 tsp of honey. Cooking time wasn´t affected seriously, it took about 20-25 minutes, but you can check easily when the meat is ready.
I would use the same amounts next time as it fitted my palate perfectly...

Oh, and I´m definitely buying the book! Cheers! :)

Comments

Gloria said…
Vonsachen, I m happy you are here again!!! So nice pictures. I hope you are OK wth your Flu.
I like this yummy chicken's recipe!!! GLoria
Gloria said…
Vonsachen, I m happy you are here again!!! So nice pictures. I hope you are OK wth your Flu.
I like this yummy chicken's recipe!!! GLoria
barb michelen said…
Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is
pistachio said…
Haha! Eva ... you know me so well :)

That seems a very lovely recipe, it made me check out the uktv site, lol.

pi xxx
Paola said…
what an interesting recipe! sounds like something i might want to make!

paola
Shaun said…
Vonsachsen ~ I don't know if you recall, but my Chicken Satsivi was not all that appetising to photograph either. Sure, part of the problem then was the camera being used, but there was very little colour in general. Having said that, so many of the dishes in Feast are flavourful. Thank you for reminding me to cook from that wonderful book again.

Even if this doesn't remain a food blog, you can count on this faithful reader to check in...I like literature, too.

Happy New Year.

Popular Posts