a tin of condensed milk


Part of the problem - or shall I say the challenge - when cooking for one is what to do with the rest? With the rest I mean if you use a few spoonfulls of anything, what to do with the rest of the tin or jar?

In this particular case, I have had my eyes on the Creamy Avocado Milkshake from The Traveler´s Lunchbox for quite a while, but didn´t want to open a tin of condensed milk, only to use 2 tbs of it. Ummm, not until yesterday evening anyway, when I felt in the need for some comfort and moral support. As I didn´t have access to a nice comforting hug, I felt entitled to make the milkshake to compensate :)

With the recipe comes a warning that the drink is quite rich, so I prepared myself for that, but I must say I found it only thick, nice, yummy and even refreshing!!!

Of course, since it was only me, myself and I, I halved the recipe (very hard when you feel like I did yesterday evening ;) and used
Avocado Milkshake
1/2 Haas avocado
2 large tbsp of sweetened condensed milk and
150ml milk, a bit more then in the original recipe
crushed ice
few drops of vanilla essence (optional)
I took a sip before adding the vanilla essence and decided to leave it as it was. This might have been the reason to the difference between the drink being rich or refreshing, actually...

MY WARNING: This drink is addictive!
I intend to make again, and I think if I won´t have condensed milk, I would go with a tbsp of runny honey for similar result.

Well, that was done, but it left me with an almost full tin of condensed milk that had to be used. Also I had 6 egg yolks in the fridge since making the Pavlova last weekend, and they needed to be used urgently before going to waste.

When I did the math, it gave:
So, today's assignment became Key Lime Pie, that I have seen, read about, heard of lots of times but have never actually made or even eat before. I started to look for recipes and found too many. I noticed the main difference between the recipes was that you could either cook the pie with the filling or not. I guess it was only a coincidence that all the recipes I found in Swedish books used the uncooked version while in my American cookbooks the filling was cooked, but this was enough for me to decide that the "original" Key Lime Pie recipe was the cooked filling one. Please, if you have an opinion about this, don´t be shy, share it with me :) Thanks!
Also, it feels safer to eat cooked eggs...

So here is the recipe I finally used (from a book called The Best Pies of America by Jane Whitman Tierney who owns a coffee shop called Wishing Stone Farm in Maine ) :

Key Lime Pie
yields: one cakemonster or 8-10 normal people

Crust:
13 digestive biscuits
100ml melted butter
1 tbsp brown sugar

Filling:
4 egg yolks
1 tin sweetened condensed milk (397g)
110ml lime juice
1 tbsp lime zest

Crush the biscuits and mix with the butter and sugar. Press it into a spring form (23-25 cm diam.) and bake for 10 min on 150 C. Let it cool slightly on a cooling rack. Increase oven heat to 175C.

Beat the egg yolks with an electric hand mixer until starting to thicken, add the milk and keep on whisking until thick. Mix it carefully with the lime juice and zest and pour into the pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes and let it cool on a wire rack. Put it in the freezer for 3 hours.

Note: I used about 3 1/2 limes and as I didn´t have Key limes (obviously...), I added the juice of 1/2 of lemon. As I didn´t have any place in my freezer, I just put the Pie in the fridge overnight, and I found it very nice. Most of the recipes garnish or serve the pie with whipped cream or ice-cream but I love the tartness of the pie and would never dream of sweeten it up with any of the above mentioned serving tips.
This was the first time I made Key Lime Pie and I must say it is both quick and delicious, something to make over and over again.

Comments

Linda F said…
The avocado milkshake sounds unusual yet intriguing, not sure I would be brave enough! I have never made key lime pie either but that sounds so easy and looks gorgeous!
Sandy said…
The milkshake AND the key lime pie look delicious. I am very curious about that milkshake, I will have to give it a try.

Your photos are beautiful, so inspiring!
The pie and 'shake look amazing, very very yummy. I have a tin of condensed milk shouting to be used, perhaps I'll make the pie.

George x
Kadie said…
I was sent the link to your blog from a dear friend. I just made the avocado milkshake...lovely!! I added some walnuts for texture and sort of had to make my own sweetened condensed milk because I couldn't find any...delicious! Thanks for your recipes and thoughts!
kadie
vonsachsen said…
Thank you, Kadie, comments are always welcome! I'm happy you liked the avocado milkshake :)
I took a quick look at your profile (yes, I am curious :P) and it sounded very interesting! From Dakota to Romania? big step :)anyway, looking forward taking a better and longer look at your blog as soon as I can.
eva

Popular Posts