from beetroot patties to red velvet cupcakes


Have you been secretly hoping that my beetroot days were over? No, no, no, I have just been experimenting with different dishes with more or less success.
















First thing I made was a beetroot gratin wich I was very pleased with. I cooked the beets until almost done, peeled and sliced thinly.
Preheat the oven to 200C .
Layer the beetroot in a buttered baking dish w/ salt, pepper, grated parmesan and grated horseradish. Pour in dubblecream, about half way up the beetroot and beke for about 15-20 minutes.
Had it as a side to porkchops with oregano, but if you are vegetarian, you can just have it as a main course. Very nice.










My (secret) new year resolution was to cook and blog about more Swedish and Hungarian recipes, as it might be more appreciated than the ones everybody has access to (read: Nigella, Jamie). This was a good opportunity as beetroots are supposedly big in Sweden. I was lucky (or not?) because first thing I found in the daily newspaper Dagens Nyheter was a recipe for Beetroot Patties with horseradish and yoghurt sauce. Sounded good to me! The recipe called for minced beef, grated beetroot, onion, egg, salt,pepper and capers (optional).

Grating the beetroot raw has left me with a large amount of beetjuice with a beautiful color and I just couldn´t throw it out. While forming the patties I got an idea. Ever since I have read about the Red Velvet Cake for the first time , I have been fascinated by it. Then in December when in London, I got a reminder because of a gourgeos one I saw at the Hummingbird Bakery. As a was a bit suspicious to the usage of such large amounts of foodcolouring, I thought I will use the beetrootjuice to substitute at least a part of it.


... I finished the beetroot patties, tryed some... blend, no character, nothing special. I mustn´t forget chucking out that recipe not to get confused in the future and make it again!
After that marvellous (not) lunch and disappointment I went on with my red velvet project.
As I have none to celebrate Valentines Day with, I figured I should feel depressed and bake and demolish a whole layercake but I just didn´t feel like it. I felt absolutely fine, so I was going to make some pretty velvet cupcakes instead. As a single person I find it more practicalwith the individual "mini-cakes", I can freeze a part of it while still slightly warm, and then taking them out one and one and frosting them before I eat them. This way they keep "fresh" for a longer time and I don´t have to stuff myself into a sugar coma.
I found a recipe for velvet cupcakes here, then "consulted" The Lee bros recipe here and decided to halve the first recipe and add some orange zest according to the second recipe.















I also altered the frosting, I didn´t find it necessary to add the butter at all, it tasted great!


Red Velvet Cupcakes
about 30 cupcakes

1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature
2 1/3 cups of cake flour
2 tablespoons of Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of buttermilk*
1 1/2 tablespoons of red food coloring
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of distilled white vinegar
Frosting ingredients
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
8 oz of Philly cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
2 - 3 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
*You can make your own buttermilk by adding a tablespoon of distilled white vinegar to milk and letting it stand for about 10 minutes.

The cupcakes1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer for 3 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy.
2 Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is fully incorporated. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
3 In a large bowl, sift together the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl whisk together the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla extract, and red food coloring.
4 Add a fourth of the dry ingredients and mix, then add a third of the wet. Continue adding in a dry, wet, dry pattern, ending with the dry ingredients.
5 Scoop into cupcake papers, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Rotate the pan after the first 15 minutes of baking to ensure even baking.
6 Allow to cool for one minute in the pan then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

The Frosting1 Cream the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
2 Add the vanilla extract and mix.
3 Add the powdered sugar, continually taste to get to desired sweetness. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.


Happy Valentines Day!


Comments

Anonymous said…
Really enjoy your blog , and the beautifil pictures on in. I found it via Vilolet's pantry. Hope to visit often and Happy Valentines day to you!
viviana
Oh Eva, they look stunning. Gorgeous photos as ever.
vonsachsen said…
Viviana, thank you for your nice comment and you´re welcome back anytime :)

George, thank you!!
annauk said…
Eva - amazing photographs! I love your blog!
xx
Gloria said…
They looks so wonderful and the pictures!!! You let me without words.!!! Gloria
Sandy said…
Your cakes are stunning. The red batter looks lucious, and the iced cakes are so pretty with their little hearts.

Happy Valentine's Day!

ps. I should be working, but I am just staring at your gorgeous photos...again!!!
Lisa said…
They look beautiful!
I'm looking forward to those Swedish & Hungarian recipes, too; great idea!
L. xoxo
Linda F said…
Gorgeous little cakes and what an inspired idea to use beetroot juice! I love the sound of the beetroot gratin to go with pork chops...yum!
Paola said…
omg!! these photos! you are one talented woman my dear! gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgoeus!

paola
jowdjbrown said…
The very words evoke images of fancy hotels, with powdered ladies decked out like perfumed confections sitting around trays of delicate cucumber sandwiches, tea cakes and biscuits and an ornate pot of piping hot tea.healthy tea melbourne

Popular Posts