muffins with sundried tomatoes and basil

From time to time my energy level drops dramatically and those days I prefer to be alone, just pottering in the kitchen, reading a book, magazines, listening to music and eat something sitting on my balcony doorstep. Last weekend I decided to lock myself in, turn the internet off and just be.

Saturday went very fast, I´ve finished Toni Morrisons Song of Solomo and on Sunday I decided to bake savory muffins, in trying to find an alternative for my everyday sweet treats. I remembered a recipe I tried years ago from a Swedish vegetarian cooking magazine Gott och grönt (Delicious and Green) but I couldn´t recall what I thought about it. When I found the recipe, on the same spread there was a nice-looking carrot soup too that I instantly decided to cook as I thought it would go nicely with the muffins.

The kitchen was warm and smelling deliciously from the muffin, and the soup was happily bubbling on the stove top when the phone rang. To my surprise, it was my ex husband who was in town and having a couple of hours to spend he wondered whether I wanted to invite him for a cup of coffee. I told him he was welcome and as soon he came inside my apartment the phone rang again. This time it was a Freundin who was on her way home from the gym but didn´t really feel like going home. In five minutes she was knocking on my door and instead of the tea/coffee I offered them soup and muffin which they happily agreed to.



It was a very nice afternoon, we sat there and talked until late in the evening (they got several cups of coffee and tea too:) ) and I was surprised how quickly my batteries were recharged, in spite of having people around me! I felt relaxed in company of old friends and simple but warming food and I learnt a new thing.

...with Meredith Grey´s words:
"Boundaries don't keep other people out, they fence you in."

Muffins
12 muffins

100g butter
250g cottage cheese
3 eggs
200ml milk
700ml flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Tomato and basil filling
200ml sundried tomatoes
2 handfulls of basil
200ml cheese, grated


Corn and squash filling
200ml corn
100g squash, chopped
1 tbsp dill
200ml cheese, grated


1. Choose filling. Grate cheese and chop vegatables.
2. Melt butter and mix with cottage cheese, egg and milk.
3.Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and the chosen filling.
4. Mix dry and wet "ingredients" and fill a greased 12 muffin tin with the batter.
5.Bake for 20 minutes on 225C.
Serve with hot soup.


Carrot soup with dill
2-4 pers

1 onion, chopped
1/2 stick of cellery, sliced
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp sugar
1 potato, in cubes
5 carrots, sliced
1/2 tbsp dill
500ml vegetable cube or hot water
3/4 tbsp lemonjuice
50ml cream
1/2 tsp salt
pepper

1. Melt onion and cellery on butter with the sugar.
2.Add carrots, potato, dill and water (vegetable cube, optional), let simmer for 20 minutes.
3.Pour the soup in a blender and when you have a thick, smooth liquid, you transfer it back into the pan.
4.Add lemonjuice and cream (I used slightly more cream...), salt and pepper and simmer for a few minutes.

Didn´t have time to take a photo of the soup as we jumped at it at once, but next time I make it I promise. There is nothing to see anyway, looks like a regular orange soup, but it taste great.

Comments

Lisa said…
That sounds like a perfect day, and your muffins look delicious.
Kelly-Jane said…
Oh they look so good, and just right with some soup!
Linda F said…
They do lolk lovely Eva, and how nice that you got to spontaneously share them too! Love the Meredith Grey quote too!!!!:)
vonsachsen said…
Yes, Lisa, it was a surprise to discover that I do enjoy company! :D I like your new photo (avatar):)
Kelly-Jane: it gives a homey feeling to have something special with a bowl of soup...
Linda: hihi, about the quote: very intelectual source, but it was like made up for me!
Anonymous said…
Ser hur gott ut som helst!! Kram Anna
Paola said…
Oh yum! These sound fantastic! I must tell you that your pictures are stunning!!!

paola
Sandy said…
Great quote! I often feel the need to hibernate when energy is low. And your day sounds perfectly spent.

Popular Posts