turnip soup - karalábé leves

Today I worked afternoon and evening and I needed something quick, easy and springy to eat before leaving. Yesterday when buying rocket for one of my favourite salads, I noticed the shop had fresh turnips and couldn´t resist to buy just a few. At that point I didn´t know what I will make with it but I knew I´ll come up with something.

So, today I remembered a spring soup that is quite common where I come from, and these tender turnips are just perfect for it. There are several versions, you can make a cream soup and serve with tiny meatballs but that recipe uses both milk and flour and that´s too much for my stomach. Then there is another version that contains many typical Hungarian elements: you don´t saute the turnip, just start cooking in water, then use roux (it is frequently used in traditional Hungarian cooking) with paprika (gives you a guaranteed heartburn if you have a week stomach :D)and is served with galuska (dumpling). Of course you can add other vegetables too, like green peas or/and carrot, parsnip but then it becomes a vegetable soup, according to my opinion. Finally I settled for a lighter version that tasted lots of turnip and spring.


What you need for 2-3 bowls of soup:

1 tbsp lard (or vegetable oil)
3 smallish turnips, diced
1 tbsp flour
a handful of rice
salt
one good handful of parsley (or more)
1-2 tbsp Greek yogurt
broth or water

My mother uses one egg yolk and sour cream (of course) instead of the yogurt. I found that the creaminess of the yogurt made up for the lack of the egg and I was perfectly satisfied. I tried this version because: first, I didn´t want to use one egg for such a small portion (yes, I am a bit economic;P) and second, I don´t have access to organic eggs and then I rather pass on the raw egg yolks.
Melt lard or butter over medium heat. Add turnip, salt and half the parsley and saute until the turnip is translucent. Sprinkle with the flour, stir it until smooth, add the broth or water. Bring to boil, then Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until vegetable is half done, add the rice and cook til rice is ready too.
Combine egg yolk, sour cream and remaining parsley if you are making this version, otherwise just the yogurt and parsley, take 2 tsp of this creamy mixture in a bowl and ladle hot soup over it. Bon Appetit!
The tender turnip has got a wonderfully sweet taste that I love, especially when it blends with the tartness of the yogurt or sour cream. Oh, I love spring!




Just an observation: I see that this recipe is one of the most popular ones and it only got three comments...feel free to give feedback, it's always fun to read :)

Comments

That looks so good - I like the idea of using greek yoghurt in the soup :)

Laura xo
Lisa said…
Your soup looks yummy, and your flowers are beautiful. I see the stack of books, too, and wish I could jump through into the photograph! Hope you're enjoying your Spring weekend!
Sandy said…
I love that pitcher for your flowers.
And your soup looks fresh and tasty. I've never cooked with a turnip before!

Popular Posts